Sunday, August 27, 2017

Unplanned

Friday evening, I got a call from my sister. She was in a lot of pain, running a fever, and about to go to the hospital. Her GP thought it might be pancreatitis. I threw some clothes and some knitting in an overnight bag and drove down to her house, where I did some chores for her and played with her cats while waiting for news from the friend who was with her.

The doctors determined that it's a kidney infection, pumped some industrial-strength antibiotics into her, and sent her home with a prescription for more antibiotics. By that time it was 1am, and we'd already decided that I was spending the night, both because I was too tired to drive back to Vermont, and because she was still in a lot of pain.

My sister is buying a house, and had scheduled two inspections for Saturday. The pain from the infection was bad enough that she didn't feel comfortable driving, but she could keep the appointments if I played chauffeur, so that's what we did. She treated me to lunch at one of my favorite BBQ restaurants to thank me.

By the time I got her back to the house and tucked in with her antibiotics and painkillers, I needed to head back to Vermont, so I left her with instructions to call me if things took a turn for the worse, and I motored north. I got home a little after 7pm and immediately crawled into bed and passed out from exhaustion.

The emotional stress of all that had me a little sluggish this morning, so it was around noon that I finally got up the energy to get some chores going... and the power went out. It stayed out for four hours. Everything I needed to do today required electricity, with the exception of trimming some branches in the yard, which took all of five minutes.

So now I'm playing catch-up on laundry and dishes and sewing and emails while also gearing up for what will be two exceptionally busy days at work before I head to Florida for the rest of the week. I feel like the universe is punishing me for something, but I can't figure out what.

No comments:

Post a Comment