Friday, July 28, 2017

Unafraid of Darkness

A few months ago, I discovered that my Jeep had an electrical problem. I discovered this by turning the key one morning and finding a dead battery because the dome lights had stayed on all night and drained it. My ex-husband helped me find the appropriate fuse for the dome lights, remove the bulbs, and replace the fuse, which didn't solve the electrical problem, but made it so it wouldn't run down the battery anymore. It was a suitable temporary fix.

Later, when the Jeep had to pass inspection, my mechanic made another temporary fix to a problem: he bypassed a wiring fault in the rear wiper switch so the wiper would function (necessary for inspection), though I'd have to time it just right when turning off the switch because the wiper wouldn't automatically reset to the home position. I know that eventually I'll want to pull off trim panels and hunt down that bad wire so it can be properly fixed, but that's low on the priority list.

As the days begin to get shorter, I've been missing my dome lights. Getting home from an event at 9:30pm meant getting out a flashlight so I could see what I needed to bring in, and that made carrying things tricky. So I tapped my ex-husband again, and yesterday after work he came down and tinkered.

I now have one working dome light, which is all I need, though it makes my OCD a smidge twitchy that the dome light in the trunk doesn't work. It makes me even twitchier that the part I need to make it work doesn't seem to be available from any parts places... just one guy in the midwest selling used ones on Ebay.

On the other hand, my ex, whom I invited down to solve one problem, actually solved two. I'd been having issues with the trunk latch sticking from time to time, so while we had the hatch trim panel off, he poked around, figured out what the issue was, and solved it with a bit of wire. He's awfully handy, that fella.

Bring on the darkness, axial tilt. I've got a dome light now. I can handle it.

No comments:

Post a Comment