Friday, March 9, 2018

Cardigans

My father was an old-school professor, and dressed like one: tweed blazers, patched elbows, corduroy trousers, though not necessarily matching or in good repair. He had a bunch of rather bland-looking cardigans, too, which I've just inherited as part of my sister's effort to get Dad's house emptied and on the market. Up 'til now I've been using hooded sweatshirts as an extra layer in my chilly house, but they have their shortcomings, and Dad's cardigans are a much better fit, so I'm thrilled to have them.

I'm discovering, as I catch myself in the mirror, that there's a firm line between looking academic and looking like a bum when it comes to cardigans, and it has a lot to do with whether the shirt under the cardigan has buttons on it. Buttons: academic. No buttons: bum.

Today I look like a bum, but a warm one, so I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment