Saturday, February 1, 2020

Flight Canceled

I watch a lot of homesteading videos these days, and it seems all of these vlogging 'steaders have drones so they can get aerial shots of their farms. One even used his drone to help find a neighbor's missing cow! Now, our little urban patch of earth isn't worth taking many pictures of, but our next one will be, and I was toying with the idea of picking up a little $30 toy drone to learn on before deciding whether to get a beefier model for when we move to the new place in a few years.

Then I started reading up on the laws and ordinances relating to drones, most of which seemed pretty sensible: maintain line of sight, don't exceed 400 feet, don't fly over anyone else's property without their written permission, and so on. There's also one about not operating a drone within 5 miles of an airport without contacting the control tower for permission first.

That one's the kicker, because I live less than two miles from an Air Reserve Base. So I did a little more research, and found a map of restricted airspace in the US, zoomed in on my neighborhood... and it's a no. Zero-foot ceiling, no-fly zone. It's possible that, depending on the day and time, I might be able to get authorization for a short flight from the base control tower, but first I'd have to apply for, test for, pay for, and receive an FAA-issued UAV pilot's license (with re-tests every two years), and then use an app that pings the tower for permission on my behalf every time I want to fly.

That seems like a lot of work to get a $30, 6-ounce, 5-minutes-of-battery-life piece of plastic to hover at roof height for kicks (or to inspect my gutters without having to get out the extension ladder, y'know, if I want to pretend it's for something practical). I guess I'll wait until I move out of the no-fly-zone before I splurge on that new toy.

No comments:

Post a Comment