Saturday, April 14, 2018

Mother Clucker

We have chickens. We have one chicken in particular, Violet, who, as we discovered today, has a skill: escaping.

The chickens are in a pen with six-foot-tall chain-link walls. I was working in the yard earlier today, and out of the corner of my eye I see a flash of white. I take a closer look, and there's Violet on the wrong side of the wall. I catch her, put her back in with the rest of the flock, and go back to my work. A few minutes later, there she is again, outside the pen. I get her back in again, block up a couple of spots where she might be squeezing through, and go back to work. Not two minutes later, I learn her secret -- I happen to look up just as she's going over the wall. With cat-like skills, she's catching quick claw-holds on the chain link to power herself up and over whenever she wants to get out.

The other surprise was when I found out why she's been getting out. She kept going for this one spot tucked behind some boards leaning up against a wall, so I pulled them back and found... eggs! Nine of them! All fresh (passed the float test with nary a bobble)! Apparently she doesn't like laying in the nesting boxes with the other girls, so she's made her own spot.

Normally we'd turn a problem chicken into dinner, but those eggs? They're jumbos, some of them double-yolkers. It means she's one of our best layers.

She lives. She's in detention until we can figure something out, but she lives.

Life with chickens never ceases to be entertaining.

2 comments:

  1. have you seen the leashes for chickens? There's also an egg apron...it makes your front look like a Surinam toad with all the little pockets. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chicken-Harness-Take-em-for-a-walk/693881683?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=17423&adid=22222222222000000000&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=10352200394&wl4=pla-1103028060075&wl12=693881683_10000018208&wl14=chicken%20leash&veh=sem&msclkid=71eb181ac34b1f6fe11942f5fa9ea9d6 http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/332603242178

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not putting the gorram chicken on a leash! :P And we saw the egg aprons at Tractor Supply! I like my egg basket just fine, but they are amusing garments.

      Delete