Saturday, February 24, 2018

Familiar Faces

I've been running out of good things to watch on Netflix lately (suggestions welcome), so I'm down to shows I wouldn't ordinarily have watched past the first episode. I'm in the middle of Gotham right now, sort of a prequel to the Batman series, where we get to see all the familiar characters before they became iconic. The dialogue and cinematography are done in a comic book style, which makes it feel rather juvenile despite the blood, gore, and swearing, so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't love comic books to begin with, but for me, it has one wonderful thing going for it: familiar faces.

I grew up watching Doctor Who. While Peter Davison was my favorite doctor (both because of how he interpreted the role, but also because I loved him as Tristan on All Creatures Great and Small), Jon Pertwee was a close second, with his floppy perm and velvet suit. Jon's son, Sean Pertwee, is also an actor, and while he tends to play grizzly, sharp, angry characters, he shows up in Gotham as Alfred, Bruce Wayne's butler. The character starts out a little rough, but becomes quite the endearing father figure, and every time Sean smiles, I see his father, and it warms my heart.

Gotham is full of other familiar faces, even if they're only around for an episode or two. Paul Reubens (Pee Wee Herman) shows up as Penguin's father, which made me giggle, and Morena Baccarin, who played Inara on Firefly, gets a lot of screen time as Gotham's medical examiner. Apparently one of my all-time favorites, Alexander Siddig, shows up in season 4, but I think Netflix only has three seasons available right now, so I may have to wait a while for that treat.

For a show about a comic book series, done in a style I don't particularly care for, I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would, thanks in large part to the work of the casting director.

4 comments:

  1. on Netflix, check out Documentary Now!, Black Mirror, Call the Midwife, Turn, The Good Place, Peaky Blinders, Very British Problems, Land Girls--sylshessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen (and loved) Call the Midwife, Turn, Peaky Blinders, and Land Girls. I was wary of Black Mirror because the snippet on Netflix made it seem a little too close to horror/suspense for me. Will it give me nightmares?

      Delete
  2. hmmm...I found Black Mirror to be more thought provoking than scary. Like, 'what if that thing we as a society love so dearly right now became an even bigger part of our lives?' and 'be careful what you wish for' scenarios are a common theme. maybe try the series premiere? I highly doubt you'd find that particular episode disturbing. Each episode is a stand alone piece, though so you can't make assumptions about one based on another except they all take place in the same universe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Things we as a society love so dearly" already sounds scary to me. ;) But I'll give it a whirl. Thanks!

      Delete