Sunday, May 28, 2017

Panteria

Despite some unexpected issues, this weekend went quite well. I found out once I'd arrived and begun setting up on Friday that my boothmate wasn't going to be able to come, which left me without help and without a kitchen tent. I also happened to set up during the hour of moderate rain that afternoon (if I'd waited a bit, I could've set up without everything getting wet, but I didn't know that and wanted to get stuff up before it got dark), and inadvertently positioned myself near the children's play area, which was decidedly noisy. As I sat there pondering my options, soaked through from the knees down, without a dry spot to cook dinner, and ready to strangle the next shrieking child, I decided that the extra gasoline I'd burn getting to and from the site every day was worth being able to sleep in my own bed each night, so I left my tent and gear there and came home to get some rest.

This was a good call. I came to site each morning refreshed, warm, and dry, having had enough recovery time from the previous day to deal with my exuberant, tiny neighbors. I made enough sales to cover my expenses and pay my electric bill this month -- not quite as good a show as I was hoping to have, but better than I feared, and enough to make it worth going back next year.

Being near the children's play area, I got to watch how kids interact with each other, and with their parents. Watching the onset of tantrums and wild displays of imagination was informative and listening to two tweens recite chunks of Hamilton was amusing, but there was one thing I saw several times that made me sad. A child would hesitantly approach the swingset at their parent's urging, and then the parent would attempt to instruct the child on how to use it. The sad part? The kids I saw struggling to learn how to swing were at least ten years old. How a child can get to that age without having spent enough time on a playground to know how a swing works is baffling to me.

On the whole, this was a good event, and I look forward to coming back next year. Three weeks 'til the next show -- plenty of time to procrastinate!

2 comments:

  1. so, you answered my question left on your last post - thanks!

    You will be pleased to hear that my grandchildren, who live across the farm drive from me, have 2 tire swings and they are adventurous and silly on those swings, so are their friends.
    Still, I too am sad thinking that a 10 yr old doesn't know about swings and that parents don't just let them explore and learn on their own...
    My grandchildren were in China for 5 weeks, visiting their other family - in Shanghia... no play spaces where parents didn't have to be right there for safety. Here they come visit me as will, even the 3 1/2 yr. old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tell us where and when the next show is - maybe I can show up and learn and look.
    It would be fun to see you.

    ReplyDelete